One of the common problems that Samsung TV users face is that the apps on their TV stop working. For example, the Netflix app is not working on their TV. You may not be able to access the app features instantly, or the app takes much time to load the contents. The app could be stuck on a black screen. In these cases, you will have to restart the app on your Samsung TV. There are different reasons that can cause this problem. Hence, the restart can able to rectify the problem in the app and helps you to continue streaming.
How to Restart App on Samsung TV
As you know, because of problems like freezing of the screen, the screen turns black, the app starts, and after a few seconds, it automatically stops, or the app shuts down automatically. You need to restart or reboot the app. There are various ways by which you can restart the app, and they are:
- Cold booting the App
- Check for Software Updates
- Uninstall and Reinstall the app
- Reset Smart Hub on the TV
Cold Booting the App
When you press the Power button on your remote when the TV is on, it goes directly to standby mode. This means the app will not be closed and will retain the memory, and the next time you press the power button, you will find that the app hasn’t reset, and the problem continues. This is why you need to do cold booting of the app.
1. Turn on your Samsung TV and press and hold the Power button until the TV shuts down and restarts. This process will take about 5-10 seconds.
2. You can also try unplugging the TV from the wall outlet. Wait for about 25-30 seconds and plug the TV back in.
3. Now, check if the app is working or not.
Check for Software Updates
It is important to update the Samsung Smart TV to the latest firmware for effective functioning of the TV. You can go to the TV settings to check whether the software is updated.
1. Press the Home button on your remote and navigate to Settings.
2. Select Support and choose Software Update.
3. Now, click on Update Now.
4. If there is an update available, it will automatically install it on the TV and will reboot.
5. Check whether the app is working properly or not.
Uninstall and Reinstall the App
1. Go to the Samsung TV home screen and navigate to the Apps tab.
2. Select the Settings and click the App that you want to uninstall.
3. Choose the Delete option to delete the app from the TV and go back to the Apps screen.
4. Navigate to Search and enter the name of the app that you want to install.
5. After the installation is done, launch the app and check whether it is working or not.
Reset Smart Hub on the TV
When you reset the Smart Hub on your TV, all the data stored in the apps will be erased, including your login details. So, before you reset Smart Hub, you need to make a note of all the account details of the streaming apps.
1. Select Settings on the home screen and choose Support.
2. Choose Device Care/Service Care and select Self Diagnosis.
3. Click Reset Smart Hub and enter the PIN number of your TV.
Note: The default code is 0000. If you have set a different Pin Number, then enter it. For older Samsung TVs, select Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Reset Smart Hub.
4. Once the reset is done, launch the app and see whether it is working or not.
After trying out all these methods and yet the app is still not working, then try to reset your network connection or factory reset your Samsung TV. In case of any queries with the above procedure, then please mention them in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many ways to restart an app, and they are Cold booting the App, Checking for Software Updates, Uninstalling and Reinstalling the app, and Resetting Smart Hub on the TV.
It may be because cache data has accumulated too much or some other problems that cause the app to not work properly.
You can use the TV remote power button to restart the app. Long press the Power button to turn off the Smart TV, and it will restart the TV. Now, you can relaunch the HBO Max app.