Every TV requires a remote to perform any action or to change channels. Similarly, Samsung TV demands a remote to perform any operation. You can use the remote control to control your Samsung TV volume, switch channels, access streaming apps, and more. But, what if the Samsung Smart TV remote is not working properly. You can’t use the remote to control the TV. In such cases, it is important to identify the problem causing the remote and fix it.
Reasons for Samsung Smart TV Remote Not Working
- Power drained batteries.
- Lost sensitivity of the touchpad.
- The IR signal transmitted by your TV remote is not received by the sensor.
- The remote might have got locked. Therefore, it results in no response to your commands.
- Inconsistent power supply for the TV.
Fixes for Samsung TV Remote Not Working
- Repair your remote and the TV.
- Check the remote’s IR Sensor
- Replace the Batteries
- Remove any obstacles
- Update Samsung Smart TV
- Calibrate Remote’s Touchpad
- Reset Router
- Reset both the TV and the Remote
Repair your remote and the TV
There are times when your remote gets disconnected from your TV. In such cases, the remote will not work. Therefore, repair your remote with the TV using the below steps.
1. Place the remote pointing to the sensor of the TV.
2. Simultaneously press the Return and Play/Pause buttons on your remote for about 5 seconds.
3. Now, your Samsung TV remote will be paired to the TV.
4. You can use this fix when the Samsung TV remote is not working while accessing the Smart Hub Store or operating the cable box.
5. If the repairing is not fixing the issue, go to the next issue.
Check the Remote’s IR Sensor
Both your TV and the remote send and receive messages through the IR signals. Check if the IR transmitter on your Samsung TV remote is working properly. Since the IR signals are invisible, follow the below steps to check if it’s working fine.
1. Turn on your phone’s camera and look at your remote through the camera.
2. Press any random button on your remote.
3. If a red light appears in your camera each time you press a button on your Samsung TV remote, then it means that your remote is working fine.
4. If the red light is not blinking on the Samsung TV remote, you have to buy a new remote or change the batteries.
Replace the Batteries
There are times when your remote is not working because of drained out or damaged batteries. Therefore, replace your batteries with new ones and make sure you clean the terminals of the batters before you place them with the new ones. If the remote is not working after changing the batteries, you have to try the next fix.
Remove any obstacles
If there are any interferences between your TV and the remote, then your remote will not work properly. This is because of the interruption caused while transmitting the IR signals from the sensor of your remote. With these obstacles, specific keys like the Volume buttons and Power buttons will not work properly on the Samsung TV remote. Therefore, remove the hurdles in between your TV and the remote and make sure you clean all the dust from the sensor with a soft cloth. Your remote must be working fine now. If it is not working, you can calibrate the remote’s touchpad to fix the issue.
Calibrate Remote’s Touchpad
Since you use the remote daily, there are high chances for the remote’s touchpad to lose its sensitivity. In such cases, a manual recalibration can be performed to resolve the issue.
1. Press the Number key for about 3-5 seconds.
2. You will be notified that calibration has been started.
3. The entire process takes about a minute or two.
4. If the remote’s LED light blink twice, it means that the process has been completed.
5. Your Samsung TV remote must be working fine now.
6. If the remote is not working, you can go for the next fix.
You can employ these troubleshoot tips for any Samsung Smart TV remotes like QLED TV, Frame TV, Samsung Insignia TV, and more.
Restart the Router
Though there is no direct connection between the internet and the Samsung TV remote, you need to check the internet connection of your TV. If your Samsung TV is not getting a stable internet connection, the background apps won’t run properly. Sometimes, it may affect the remote pairing too. So, make sure that your Samsung TV is getting enough internet connection. You can also try resetting the router to fix the issue.
1. Turn off your TV or unplug the cable from the power supply.
2. Then, turn off the router and keep it idle for more than five minutes
3. After that, turn on your Samsung TV and the router.
4. Then, connect the Samsung TV to WiFi and check if the remote is working or not.
5. If the remote is not working, you can update the Samsung TV to fix the issue.
Update the Samsung TV
If you’re using outdated software on your TV, then the remote will not be able to pair with your TV properly. Therefore, ensure whether you’re using the latest software version on your TV. Follow the below steps to upgrade your Samsung TV.
1. Navigate to the Settings of your TV from the main menu.
2. Select the Support option.
3. Tap the Update Now button.
4. If there are any latest updates available, it will be installed on your Samsung Smart TV.
5. After the TV is updated, pair the remote with your TV and check if it is working or not. If it is not working, you have to reset the remote.
Reset both the TV and the Remote
Resetting your TV remote might fix the problem. Therefore, remove both the batteries from the remote. Hold and press the power button for about 30 seconds. This will drain all the residual power and soft reset the remote. Once you’re done with this, put the batteries back into the respective terminals, and your remote must be working fine now. If it’s still not working, you have to hard reset the remote. Press the B and C keys on the remote. Then, press the 9 8 1 keys to reset the Samsung TV remote.
This is the simplest way to fix your Samsung Smart TV remote not working. Unplug the TV cable from the socket and leave it for about a minute or so. Press the Power button on your TV for a couple of seconds and once you’re done with this, plug the cable back into its form. Now, you have performed a hard reset on your Samsung TV. Now, check if the Samsung TV remote is working or not. If it is not working, you have to buy a new remote from the Samsung StoreStore.
If your Samsung TV remote is not working even with the new batteries, there are chances that your remote’s circuit board is damaged. In that case, you need to buy a new remote.
To control your Samsung TV without a remote, you can use the Samsung TV remote app, SmartThings.