- TCL Smart TVs are available in four different OSes.
- Roku OS: Settings → System Update → Check now → Update.
- Android OS: Settings → Device Preferences → About → System Update → Update.
- Google OS: Settings → System → About → System Software Update → Update → Restart Now.
- Fire OS: Settings → My Fire TV → About → Check for Updates → Install Update.
Updates are inevitable things for smart devices. Within a year, every smart device will have at least three updates. The same goes for smart TVs too. Every brand of smart TV will have new updates once in a while. Some brands like TCL and Sony run on different OSes (Android TV OS, Roku TV OS, and Google TV OS). Similar to smartphones and PCs, a new update on TCL Smart TV will give you access to new features, fix issues, and remove bugs. There are different methods to update the TCL Smart TV.
Recently, on Oct 27, 2022, TCL announced the lineup of Smart TVs integrated with Fire TV OS. As of now, TCL Fire TVs are only available in Germany, Spain, the UK, and Italy. The Fire TV models are equipped with 4K QLED displays of 50 and 55 inches. You can check the announcement here. You can buy the TCL Fire TV models (CF6 Series) on the Amazon e-commerce website. The updating process varies for each OS. Follow the steps below to update your TV software, depending on the OS.
How to Update TCL Roku TV
In TCL Roku TV, there are two different ways to update it. You can use the Settings menu or the USB drive to update the TV.
Method 1: Using Settings Menu
1. Turn on your TCL Roku TV.
2. Check whether your TV is connected to the internet.
3. From your TCL Roku TV home screen, navigate to the Settings option.
4. On the Settings screen, click the System button.
5. Now, choose the System Update option.
6. The System Update screen will display the current version and the last update date. Click Check Now to check for the available updates.
7. If there are no new updates available, you will get the “All software is up to date” pop-up.
8. If there is a new update available, it will be downloaded and installed on your TV automatically.
9. Now, the TCL Roku TV will reboot.
10. After the restart, you can use the TCL Roku TV with the latest firmware version.
Method 2: Update TCL TV Using USB
1. Go to tvupdate.roku.com on your computer web browser.
2. Select your TV brand as TCL.
3. On your TCL Roku TV, go to Settings > System > About > Find out the Roku TV model.
4. Type your Roku TV model number and serial number. Then, click the Next button.
5. Click Download Software to get the latest software version of your TCL Smart TV for free.
6. The new firmware file will be downloaded to your computer.
- To extract files on Windows PC
- Open the Downloads folder.
- Locate the downloaded firmware file.
- Right-click and choose Extract Now.
- Select the extract path and click Extract.
- To extract files on Mac
- Click on Go in the Menu bar and choose Downloads.
- Double-click on the firmware folder you downloaded.
- Extract the firmware file on your Mac PC.
7. Copy the extracted firmware file to a USB drive. Make sure that the USB drive is formatted.
8. Turn on your Roku TV and insert the USB.
9. From the TV home screen, go to Settings –> System –> System Update.
10. Click “I Can’t Connect.” A 12-digit code will appear on your TV after checking the USB drive for the file.
11. Again, go to the Roku update website on your computer web browser.
12. Choose your TV brand and provide the TV model details.
13. Click Confirm and tap the I already have it button.
14. Enter the 12-digit code shown on the TV screen.
15. You will receive a 6-digit code once after confirmation.
16. Type the code on your TCL TV.
17. A new update will be installed on your Roku automatically.
18. Now, the Roku device will restart. Then, you can use your TCL Roku TV with the latest OS.
How to Update TCL Android TV
Just like your Roku TCL TV, you can update TCL Android TV either using the Settings menu or by using the USB drive.
Method 1: Update TCL Android TV Using Settings
1. Turn on your TCL Android TV and connect it to the internet.
2. Navigate to the Settings icon from the Android TV home screen.
3. Select the Device Preferences button (For Android 9 OS only).
4. Now, select the About option.
5. Choose the System Update feature.
6. Your TV will check for new updates.
7. If a new update is available, it will download the new update. If not, you will get the no updates pop-up.
8. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update. Ensure not to turn off your TV until the installation is done.
9. After that, you can use your TCL Android TV with the new OS.
Method 2: Update Using USB
1. Go to https://tclnordic.zendesk.com/ from a web browser. Sign in with your account if asked.
2. Download the updated software version for your TCL Smart TV for free.
3. The file will be downloaded to your computer. Extract the file.
4. Now, copy the file to a USB.
5. Connect the USB to your TV.
6. The sixth step varies with the TCL Android TV OS.
- For TCL Smart TV 3 OS, go to Settings –> Support –> Software Update –> By USB.
- For TCL Android TV 8 OS, go to Settings –> About –> System Update –> Local Update.
- In TCL Android TV 9 OS, go to Settings –> Device Preferences –> About –> System Update –> Local Update.
7. Your TV will automatically detect the USB drive and validate the update file.
10. Click OK on the pop-up prompt.
11. Wait for 10-15 minutes until the update completes. Now, your TCL TV will restart.
12. Then, you can use your TCL Android TV with the latest OS.
How to Update TCL Google TV
Similar to Roku TV and Android TV, you can update TCL Google TV in two different ways.
Method 1: Update using Settings Menu
1. On your TCL Google TV, select the Settings option from the Profile menu.
2. Navigate to the System option and tap on it.
3. On the next screen, tap the About option.
4. Click the System Software Update feature.
5. Your TCL Google TV will check for new updates.
6. If your TCL Google TV is already in the new version, you will get the below screen.
7. If an update is available, it will be downloaded.
8. Click the Restart Now button to install the new update.
9. After the restart, the new update will be installed on your TCL Google TV.
Method 2: Update using USB Drive
1. On your PC, go to the TCL Google TV website.
2. Download the latest TCL Google TV software on your PC.
3. Extract the software and copy it to a USB drive.
4. Now, insert the USB drive into your TCL Google TV and restart it.
5. It will detect the USB drive and ask you to confirm the update process.
6. Click the Update button to download and install the new update on your Google TV.
7. Then, the TCL Google TV will restart. Now, you can use your TV with the new OS.
How to Update TCL Fire TV
Though the TCL Fire TVs are newer models, the stock OS is not up-to-date. The latest Fire TV OS released by Amazon is FireOS 220.127.116.11 (as of Oct 2022). But the stock OS in some of the TCL Fire TVs is 18.104.22.168. So, you need to update the Fire TV as soon as you complete the setup process.
1. Click the Settings icon on the TCL Fire TV homepage.
2. Choose the My Fire TV option.
3. Select the About feature.
4. Navigate to the Check for Updates and tap on it.
5. If a new update is available, tap the Install Update button to get the new update.
6. If your TCL Fire TV is running on the latest version, the Install Update button won’t appear.
It is always important to update your TCL Smart TV to the latest version. These are the different ways to update TCL TV. Pick a method for your TV OS and update the TV. If you are facing any issues while updating, then comment in the below section.
Find out the OS of your TCL 4K TV, whether it is Roku OS, Google OS, or Android OS. Based on this, update your TCL 4K TV.
On average usage, TCL TV will last for more than seven years.