Amazon Alexa is an AI-powered digital assistant that gives a smart echo system. It can perform various tasks or commands. Alexa can reply to simple queries asked by someone. You can ask Alexa to play songs, provide information, and for general assistance. Furthermore, it allows you to control your smart home and lets Amazon Prime members order products. If you have an LG Smart TV at home, you can use Alexa to control the TV. Before that, you must know to connect Alexa to LG Smart TV.
How to Connect Alexa to LG Smart TV
The procedure to connect Alexa to LG Smart TV differs based on the webOS on your LG TV. But whatever the OS you have, you need to install two apps. They are Amazon’s Alexa app and the LG ThinQ app. Let’s look at the procedure in detail from the below section.
1. To start the procedure first, you have to check the version of webOS on your LG TV. Follow the steps given below to find the webOS version.
- Settings >> General >> Devices >> TV >> TV Information.
- Settings >> All Settings >> Support >> TV Information.
2. Based on the version of WebOS, follow the steps given below.
- webOS 4.0 – Open the Set Up TV for the Amazon Alexa app and proceed with step 12 mentioned below.
- webOS 4.5 – Move to Settings >> Connection >> Link to Devices for Voice Control and follow step 12.
- webOS 5.0 – Go to Home Dashboard >> Settings >>Link to Smart Speaker from the top right corner if you have a speaker like Amazon Echo. Open the Home Dashboard from the home screen and go to Settings >> Link to Smart Speaker on your LG TV. If not, follow step 3.
- webOS 6.0 – Continue the 3rd step.
4. Further, follow the on-screen instructions in the LG ThinQ app and set up an LG account if you don’t have an existing account. You can also use a Google account or Apple ID based on the platform.
5. Click on the Plus Sign in the white rectangle to add a new product.
6. On the following screen, you will get three options.
- Scan QR – Scan the code on your TV to connect with the camera on your phone.
- Search Nearby – Find your TV with Bluetooth.
- Select Manually – Select the TV from the list.
The first two options will do all the work automatically. If you choose the Select Manually option, follow the steps listed below.
7. From the Select Manually option, choose TV.
8. Now, the app will find your TV, provided your phone and the TV are connected to the same WiFi connection.
9. Your TV will display an eight-digit code on your TV screen. You have to enter the code on the app.
10. On the next page, click on the Link button.
11. On the welcome screen that appears, choose the Go to Home option to proceed.
Note: On webOS 6, click the TV’s card and choose Settings >> Link LG ThinQ account.
Connect Amazon Alexa App to LG Smart TV
2. Launch the app and sign in with your Amazon account.
3. Click Devices from the bottom of the screen.
4. Choose the Plus Sign from the top right corner.
5. Then, select the Add Device option.
6. On the next screen, scroll down and click TV.
7. Select LG.
8. On the following screen, tap the Next button.
9. Choose Enable to Use to get the Alexa skill for ThinQ.
10. Now, log in to your LG account.
11. Click Agree to accept the terms and conditions.
12. Then, tap Close to continue.
13. Choose Discover Devices and Alexa will search for devices to connect.
14. Now, your LG TV is connected through ThinQ skill and you will get to see that in the devices list.
Related: How to connect AirPods to LG Smart TV.
What Can Alexa Do on LG TV?
- Turn on /off your TV
- Increase the volume up or down
- Set the volume to a specific number
- Mute or unmute the TV
- Change the channel
- Play, pause, forwards, rewind a video
That’s it. Now you can use Alexa to control your LG Smart TV seamlessly. Once you have hooked up your LG TV with Alexa, you can ask Alexa to do anything. And you will love to be hands-free while watching on your LG Smart TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can connect Alexa to LG Smart TV using Amazon Alexa and LG ThinQ apps.
If your LG T runs in webOS 4.0 and above, you can get the Alexa support.